Washing Cats: 10 Tips To Make Bathing Less ‘traumatic’
As is well known, cats spend most of their time cleaning themselves, but they don’t like water. However, washing your cat is sometimes a necessity: for example, after playing outside after a rainy day, or after coming into contact with substances that have dirtied it. That’s why it’s good to know how to bathe your cat: step by step, let’s see how to make this moment as less traumatic as possible for our four-legged friend.
How To Wash Your Cat
To clean a cat, you can wash it completely, or concentrate on just one area of the body, which is advisable if the dirt only affects that part, which will make our task easier.
For the cat, the bath is in fact something unnatural, that’s why the tension and fear that associates to this moment: cuddle him or use small tricks, as appetizing snacks, will help him to relax. It’s also good to remember not to wash your cat too often, to avoid it being subjected to dermatitis and hair loss, sometimes due to excessive hygiene.
How To Give Your Cat A Complete Bath: 10 Tips
Bathing time becomes a little more difficult to manage when you need to wash your cat completely. In this case, it may be useful to keep these tips in mind:
- start by laying a towel on the floor and bring the temperature of the bathroom to at least 19 degrees.
- Provide a bathtub that is not too deep, to be used as a bathtub, just like for newborns. This trick will keep your cat’s fear in check and prevent her from splashing water everywhere as she fiddles;
- place the bathtub in the bathtub or shower and, only when it is full, immerse the cat in it;
- choose a specific shampoo and not use the one for human use, which can cause dermatitis and itching, as well as annoyances derived from the excessive amount of perfume;
- use a pitcher to wet it: in this way it will scare less;
- wet the cat with lukewarm water, then apply the shampoo between your hands;
- massage with the shampoo, avoiding nose, ears and eyes;
- rinse the cat gently, using the jug and, only at the end, use the hand shower for the last rinse;
- lift it up and wrap it in a towel, preferably in microfibre;
- use the hair dryer only if it does not scare.
Finally, let’s not be surprised if after the bath the cat will return to clean itself, licking the surface of its coat: it is a completely natural gesture for a feline.
Cat Care: Eyes, Ears, Nose, Teeth And Nails
Bathing your cat and brushing her coat are useful actions to remove allergenic substances, parasites and dirt, which is why the advice is to start getting your cat used to this kind of treatment from an early age. It is therefore not necessary to be afraid of using brushes and shearers to eliminate any knots of hair present: in particular, it is advisable to brush it regularly, especially when the cat is in its moulting period, thus avoiding the formation of tricobezoars. If the cat is long-haired, as in the case of the Siberian, the attentions will have to be greater.
Moreover, it is better not to apply pesticides immediately after the bath, waiting instead for a few days, so as to allow the formation of a layer of protective sebum on the skin.
Special care should be given to the eyes, ears, nose, teeth and nails. To do this, we recommend that you follow a few simple steps:
- eyes: use a cotton ball and warm water;
- ears: check that there is no earwax or that the cat does not bend its head in an abnormal way, a symptom of parasites, inflammation or foreign bodies. To do this, it is advisable to use a cotton ball, avoiding introducing anything else into the ear canal;
- nose: pay attention to possible abnormal secretions, regular sneezing or abnormal breathing;
- teeth: cleaning them with a fingerbrush and a cat toothpaste will prevent tartar, preventing gingivitis and tooth loss;
- nails: it is important to use it with great care and, if necessary, to consult your vet. Cats’ nails are in fact vascularized and innervated.
Wash Your Cat Without Using Water
Finally, it must be said that bathing your cat is not always possible. This is the case for those who suffer from alopecia or do not wish to come into contact with water in any way.
In this case, to care for the coat and wash them, you should choose a dry shampoo, which allows you to easily remove dirt and unwanted substances with a simple brush, sweet and accurate.
Finding the dry shampoo is very easy, any pet shop is equipped with it: the only advice is to do a little allergic test before using it in its entirety on the body of the cat, so as to avoid any discomfort.
Alternatively, you can use animal-specific wet wipes, which will allow us to clean your cat effectively and easily, without giving up and in discomfort or discomfort.
To take care of your pet, the bathroom, as we know, is not enough: regular veterinary visits, healthy nutrition and a lot of affection complete the picture. To protect the health of our best friends, UniSalute has created Doctor Pet insurance that provides a free visit, the service “The veterinarian answers” and discounted rates for some veterinary benefits. An additional tool to live happily the relationship with our pets while keeping their health and well-being under control.